Oct 12, 2009

Ready for the great unknown

I feel like I have lived in two parallel universes the past 36 weeks. One that moves as it always does…not enough time in the day, too many tasks to accomplish for one person. The other has moved as if we were in slow motion. We marked off each day and the weeks couldn't come fast enough. But we are here. By all estimates, we have a healthy baby ready to turn parallel universes upside down but what's next?

We know we are ready but we also realize that we have no idea what we are ready for. We have done as much preparation as possible but we expect that we likely have forgotten or not even thought of endless tasks that will be needed to assist us along the way.

I really sit here this evening not really knowing what to think. I haven't spent too much time anticipating the next few weeks. As a man of consideration, I realize that this is the one time that I can't completely prepare for this great unknown. Boy or girl...names...how do I act during delivery...what can I do to help over the next few weeks? I really have not processed any of those thoughts at this point as I think I am ready to just soak in the entire experience and will let the winds move our vessel as only the winds see fit.

We will keep our eyes looking forward while always holding our past close to our hearts. Nothing could have prepared us for the horrible experiences we have had in the past but life is about to reward us with a high we can’t fully appreciate…that is until Wednesday when the pain of yesterday will help deliver our joy of tomorrow.

3 comments:

Veronica said...

beautiful post Matt......you may not realize it, but your words express just how ready you actually really are. your journey is truly the unknown, but believe that conquering that which is unknown is more than half the battle to earning and enjoying and relishing every moment of the things we achieved with even the best laid plans. You have conqoured a many already, here is to new things on your different, and new and exciting journey. let the winds blow as you stated, and trust it, as you always have. the ultimate high right?
Best luck and thoughts are with you three!

Robin said...

After we lost Maizie I never thought I could fully experience joy again. I was overwhelmed with the birth of our son as I found that the joy was ten times more joyful than the immense sadness I had felt. I didn't think it was possible. I cannot wait for you and Tiffany to have this. You have waited a long time.

Anonymous said...

I'm re-reading this for the second time as I lay here counting contractions. It reminds me how grateful I am to have you and I feel secure about what is about to happen to us. Tomorrow we may have a baby... Amazing stuff.