Nov 1, 2009

Appreciating every second

I am not sure that I have ever had a moment in my life that I have been so overcome with joy that I had been brought to tears. Ecstasy arrived at 9:18 AM on 10/28/09. After hours of labor, Tiffany gracefully delivered an 8 pound 7 ounce glowing baby boy, Liam Nash Collins. As the anticipation built through the morning, Tiffany held her composure and with one final push Liam arrived to this wonderful world. Instantly I saw that he was a boy and we both cried a tear of joy as the staff swiftly cleaned him and did their quick analysis. Time stood still as we held him in our arms and took in the moment.

I have never experienced such pride but the majority of that exhilaration is in the way in which Tiffany has naturally transformed into a caring and loving mother. I absolutely love holding him and touching his skin but I find even greater pride in seeing her with him as this is the moment that she has sacrificed so much to experience. She has earned this time and given all we have been through, I truly believe it allows us to have an even heightened level of appreciation to be where we are today.

I knew fatherhood would be a joyous experience but all of the books, advice and anticipation couldn’t have prepared me for the joy that is now in our lives forever.

2 comments:

Robin said...

Congratulations. You write so well and always leave me with a lump in my throat. I'm so happy for you both.

Veronica said...

Matt, beautiful post. Congrats on the one of the best times in your life, as you said--forever. So thrilled for all of you.